- Top Rated Podcasting Kit Options – Quick Link Chart
- Our Choices:
- For Solo Home Podcasters (Beginners Or Intermediate) – Portable Kits For Podcasting Too!
- Cheap For Beginners On A Budget
- 4 Person Podcast Options
- 2 Person Options
- Create Your Own Professional Equipment Setup
- What to Look For In the Best Podcast Starter Kit
- Best Computer For This
Podcasting serves to communicate a special message to the audience out there, but it is also a source or revenue. In the current wake of technological outburst, one can get it all confused when acquiring the best podcast starter kit. However, there is an individual level of technological comfort that acts as a guide, when one sets out to purchase podcast hardware. It is ideal for one to have information on what paraphernalia to buy and what to look for.
A good starter’s setup packs is going to be one of the best ways to start a podcast. I don’t know about you, but I have been listening to podcasts everyday for years. There are just so many different options out there to choose from and many are reasonably priced and don’t break the bank – you almost never get bored.
This little guide to podcasting equipment should put you in the right mindset.
Top Rated Podcasting Kit Options – Quick Link Chart
|PreSonus AudioBox Studio||USB interface, headphones, mic, cables and software.||Buy It Now!|
|Behringer Podcastudio USB||Audio interface, headphones, mic, recording software and quick start guide.||Buy It Now!|
|4 Person Podcast Kit – Yamaha MG10XU||Mixing console, 4 mics, 4 headphones and all the cables.||Buy It Now!|
|2 Person Podcast Kit – Yamaha MG10XU||Mixing console, 2 mics, 2 headphones and all the cables.||Buy It Now!|
For Solo Home Podcasters (Beginners Or Intermediate) – Portable Kits For Podcasting Too!
PreSonus AudioBox Studio
This studio comes as a complete set that one requires to record and produce even at an entry level. With this starter package, it becomes possible to record multi-track recordings, starter podcasts, demos, and field recordings. Importantly, it follows the award winning Studio One production and recording software.
At the heart of the PreSonus AudioBox Studio is the USB interface that is simple, portable and reliable. The box has audio/MIDI interface that features two-combo inputs for microphones or instruments. The box also has a zero-latency monitoring, and it comes ready for use. It is also compatible with most Mac and Windows recording software, has mic preamplifiers and 24-bit converters.
The other quality feature of the PreSonus AudioBox Studio is the M7 condenser mic. It has a large diaphragm, and it has a better performance than a dynamic microphone. The HD7 headphones also compliment the studio. They have a sound chamber that delivers deep low frequencies with a powerful bass punch since it is patented and semi-open.
Cheap For Beginners On A Budget
Behringer Podcastudio USB
This studio makes recording into a personal computer easy. It comes with a 5-channel mixer that makes it ideal for multiple podcasters. The mixer also features a microphone input and a preamplifier. Lastly, a mains adapter is an accompaniment to the mixer.
The USB interface of the studio is compatible with Mac and personal computers. A dynamic mic with a stand is the other feature of the studio, and a pair of headphones with 3.5 mm jack that fits in ¼ inches adapter adds up in the package. The studio also features 2 stereo phono cables and 1 XLR cable. Importantly, the studio features a software CD that includes an audacity package. The software enables one to record and mix during a session.
4 Person Podcast Options
Yamaha MG10XU 10 Channel Mixing Console Bundle with Art Headamp 4 Stereo Headphone Amp, Pure Resonance Audio MH10C Headphones and Accessories
This is a great way to get started with a great group session or if you plan on podcasting interviews with up to four people. It comes with just about everything you need.
- The 10 channel Yamaha MG10XU mixer.
- 4 channel headphone amp.
- 4 sets of headphones.
- 4 mics.
- All the cables you need!
This is definitely a cost effective way to jump in and get started!
2 Person Options
Same As the Four Person, Just Smaller!
Simply click the four person image above and select the two person option.
Looking to just do a broadcast with one other person or planning on having just one guest at a time? A two person option might be just right for you. If you saw the four person option above, this is basically the exact same set up. Only it eliminates two of the headphones and two of the mics. Another excellent choice!
Create Your Own Professional Equipment Setup
If you are looking to get something of a lot higher quality, I would recommend building out the podcast kit yourself instead of buying a bundle solution like the ones mentioned above. If you are looking to go this route, what do you need?
The parts comes as a combination of different equipment that forms a system. It is possible for one to forget some of the important components, and one should have a list of the basic tools. Quality remains an integral element during your selection, but getting the right set up goes a long way in facilitating good results. Whilst one can record directly into a computer, the following gear makes it up:
A mic is one part picks up the voice during a session. One has an option to pick pop screens and filters in order to make the sound cleaner. There are two types of recording microphones: dynamic mic and condenser. However, each type has its advantages and disadvantages. Personally, for ease of use, I recommend a usb microphone and don’t forget the pop filters and an extra microphone cable!
Rode Podcaster USB Mic
You actually may also consider lavalier mics if you want something smaller or don’t have the desk room.
Probably one of the most important things to think about here is that if you want good sound quality, the podcasting mics is where it starts.
Look here for our more indepth article on the best podcast microphone.
Podcast Audio Mixer Or USB Audio Interface
A mixer helps a podcaster adjust the volume and effects during a podcasting session. It comes in handy when there are more than one person in one session. It becomes easy for one to adjust the effects well ahead of time before the next comes live while recording.
I would suggest this one:
Mackie PROFX8V2 8-Channel Compact Mixer with USB
Looking for more indepth info on these? Take a look at our best podcast mixer article.
A digital recorder can serve both outdoor and indoor recording purposes. It records a session for production. One can just plug a microphone directly on the recording devices, or connect the recorder with a mixer. The recorders range from small dictaphones to professional recorders.
The choice of cables depends on configuration of your internet radio gear. One can use cables to connect a mic to a mixer or recorder. Their main function is to transmit signals from one end of equipment to the other.
Headphones allow one to monitor a broadcast session. It becomes possible to hear other podcasters clearly. Headphones also help one to listen to the effects and adjust them accordingly. Just make sure the headphone jack matches with what your gear.
Behringer HPS3000 Studio Headphones
We got more info on this as well. Take a look at our full article on the best headphones for podcasting.
What to Look For In the Best Podcast Starter Kit
- Microphone – If one opts to pick a condenser microphone, there is a need to use it while in a sound booth. This mic picks up even the slightest noise, and it can pick the sound of a seat creaking or birds chirping from outside the recording room. A dynamic microphone befits a small room or basement sessions. It features quality sound and it has control over any noise in the room. On pricing, a condenser mic is more expensive than a dynamic one. A good shock mount is recommended as well.
- Mixer – People buy mixers according to their technological comfort. If one wants to use more than one microphone, then the best podcasting mixer with USB connections comes in handy. One can also look for a mixer with an AUX outlet in order to achieve a mix/minus set up that is necessary for Skype or Google Hangouts interview calls. This feature also enables interviewees to listen to other channels except their own, and it eliminates feedback looping. It means that the recording environment determines the choice of a microphone. A noisy environment calls for a dynamic mic while a quiet environment is ideal for a condenser microphone. Nevertheless, one can customize the environment where necessary in order to achieve a better mic performance for your podcast.
- Digital Recorder – Digital recorders are easy to use since they have built-in editing tools. Portability remains a crucial consideration when one buys a digital recorder. Small recorders are easy to carry and fix on cameras when filming a video. However, one can choose a slightly bigger recorder for static recording purposes.
- Cables – Whilst there are no good or bad cables, factors such as their price and warranty come in handy. Some cables are more expensive than others. Similarly, some cables come with a warranty while others do not have it.
- Headphones – One should always go for podcast headphones that have a high quality. Some headphones usually have a high quality than others. It all depends on the clarity of the sound when one uses them.
Other things you may need to get separately:
- Mic stands
- extra cables – XLR microphone or USB depending on what you need.
- a podcast host
Best Computer For This
We actually did a complete article on this that outlines our recommendations for both PC and MAC podcasting laptops.
With such information, both the entry-level and professional streaming becomes easy to carry out. It is the right set up and the quality of the podcasting starter kits that matters. The information makes it possible for one to undertake both outdoor and indoor podcasting sessions.
All you should need now is some hosting, software, good ideas and a speaking voice! If these can’t get your podcasting studio ready, I don’t know what will!
- Everything With Podcasting
- Dallas Texas Speakers Bureau from Real News PR
- Audio Technica
Hopefully this beginners starter kits guide gives you a good idea on what to buy but if not, feel free to add a comment or question below.