- Our Recommendations For Best Soundbar Under $150
In the past decade or so, televisions have evolved from the massive, space-hogging objects they once were to become sleeker, neater and more elegant. This sounds great, until you arrive upon the fact that it’s actually what has made modern sets inferior to their predecessors in terms of sound output. This is where soundbars step into the scene. Investing in one for your entertainment setup means you have something that delivers great sound without taking up too much space. Which is probably the reason you want to know what you’ll come across when shopping for the best soundbar for under 150.
Our Recommendations For Best Soundbar Under $150
These are our top recommendations. Any of these will serve you well!
VIZIO SB3821-C6 38-Inch 2.1 Channel Sound Bar With Subwoofer
Vizio is widely considered as a go-to brand for individuals on tight budget, and this becomes evident once you scan past the simplistic design of the SB3821-C6. For starters, there’s the wireless subwoofer that works in tandem with 2 powerful drivers to make up a 2.1 surround system. The setup then employs other features to further improve performance, including:
- Great decoding options: Here, you’ll find both Dolby and DTS decoding options, the latter of which also includes a volume-leveling function to make the sound comfortable for your ears.
- Optical and Bluetooth connectivity
- A wall mounting kit.
At this point, it’s probably worth mentioning some of the issues other users have complained about, such as:
- The USB port can only accept music in the form of WAV files.
- An underwhelming bass response, particularly when you take into account it’s excellence in volume output.
Still, the VIZIO SB3821-C6 is among the few entry-level soundbars which provide great value in spite of what they’re worth. It might not satisfy those with a strong appetite for bass, but the fact that it’s a surround system means the sound output will fill any small- or medium-sized space. You’ll be hard-pressed to come across a better package at this price point.
JBL Bar Studio 2.0 Channel Bluetooth Soundbar
Known for its deep bass response and clear surround sound, the JBL Bar Studio 2.0-Channel Soundbar would be a great candidate for those looking to create a theater-like listening experience at home. Although it can fill an an average-sized living room with a deep, reverberating sound, it seldom gets to a point where one struggles to make out the vocals. And while it’s designed as an all-in-one solution with a built-in dual port design, it hardly falls short in other areas that could make a difference to your listening experience. These include:
- A user-friendly setup: Just connect the soundbar to the TV using a HDMI cable, and it will take care of the rest, thanks to its auto-sync capability.
- Bluetooth connectivity so you can stream music directly from other devices.
- Adjustable bass and treble ranges using the sound settings.
- JBL surround sound
As for its pain points, some users have complained of the tiny remote that easily gets lost in seat cushions, plus the fact that it sometimes takes too long to switch on. On the flip side, the JBL Bar Studio more than makes up for its shortcomings thanks to its stellar stereo output. For bass-lovers and those who want something that provides a great level of detail, there’s simply no better option at this price point.
Polk Signa Solo Universal Home Theater Sound Bar
Popular opinion suggests that the only reason why the Polk Signa Solo is so cheap is the fact that it’s a soundbar stripped to its bare essence. But the rock-bottom price tag hardly reflects the lack of development on the manufacturer’s part. Coming with 4 2.5 inch Polk drivers with in-built bass ports, the Signa Solo is more than capable of giving your TV picture the sound it deserves.
On the surface, this soundbar features a slim design for easy placement, but you can also mount it on a wall using the keyhole slots provided at the back. Other than that, the Polk Signa Solo also offers:
- Digital surround technology: This makes it a powerful upgrade over ordinary TV speakers, particularly for those who want a more immersive sound.
- Voice-enhancing capability: This makes it possible to adjust sound balance, whether you want to make the vocals crisper or clearer.
- Built-in Bluetooth receiver: An important feature for those who want an effective music player in addition to a soundbar.
However, don’t expect much from this soundbar if your priorities include a deep, thumping bass or layers of sonic detail. Think of this as something that does its job well, but without performing exceptionally in any particular area. In other words, the Polk Signa Solo is a decent candidate if you want to upgrade your TV speakers without spending much.
Richsound Research (RSR) TB232SW 32-inch 2.1 Channel Soundbar & Sub-Woofer
As a 2.1 channel setup with a power rating of 120 W, the TB232SW has the potential to outperform most devices in these areas. Although the volume seems inferior compared to what’s available with other models, this doesn’t make it any less capable. This 32-inch soundbar has a lot more features to offer besides volume, including:
- A wired subwoofer that delivers deep, strong bass. It’s worth noting that these wires are quite long, which makes the TB232SW suitable for rooms of any size.
- Bluetooth connectivity: This means you can pair it with any device, including those that carry the 3.0 version.
- A HDMI ARC connection, thus giving you the flexibility to use your TV remote.
- Mounting kit: You can choose to mount the system on the wall or even on your TV stand, no matter the size of your set.
As for the drawbacks, the lack of as many EQ options as are available with other soundbars is perhaps the most notable. That aside, the Richsound Research TB232SW is still one of the best entry-level setups you’ll come across. This would especially be true if what you’re looking for is a soundbar that’s capable of producing a crisp, clean sound when you’re listening to music or watching movies.
Pyle WiFi Soundbar Speakers (PSBV210WIFI)
There’s no denying that the Pyle PSBV210WIFI shares little in common with other soundbars in terms of appearance. But this is something you’d expect from a company that’s just venturing into the niche, having been molded as a car stereo manufacturer. Built on a 24-inch long, 4.7-inch high platform, this sound bar utilizes high-powered surround speakers to ensure the room fills with a warm, complete sound. To complement this, the Pyle PSBV210WIFI comes with features such as:
- Enhanced connectivity: Besides the ability to connect via Wi-Fi, the soundbar also comes with a Bluetooth pairing function, USB port, a card slot as well as an in-built FM radio transmitter.
- Stereo reproduction technology, which is further enhanced by a 3D digital processing feature
- A superb bass response: This comes in spite of the lack of an in-built subwoofer. Instead, the soundbar employs a 3-inch full-range mid woofer for the job.
- A power output of 300W
It’s worth mentioning that due to the unique design, the Pyle PSBV210WIFI isn’t the most compact solution you can get for the money. Some users have also suggested that sound clarity is less than stellar when one’s listening to FM channels. Significant as they seem, these shortfalls are easily dwarfed by the exceptional performance and solid build quality.
COWIN KY5000 Soundbar
At first glance, the COWIN KY5000 might seem like one of those products that place form over function. But take a closer look and you’ll see just why this would be a great choice for your living room. Thanks to the 6 powerful speakers that form part of the standard package, soundbar can comfortably crank out crisp-clear tunes with minimal distortion. Combine this with the unique bass extension, and what you have now is an exceptional sound setup that’s far better than what you’d realistically expect from the average device.
Not to mention that it also comes with Bluetooth connectivity, which gives you the flexibility to control its functions from your mobile device. Other reasons why you might choose the COWIN KY5000 as your setup include:
- A sleek, slim design: This means it will blend easily into contemporary home decor when mounted on a wall, while also giving you the option to place it underneath the TV if that’s what you prefer.
- Dual operation modes (remote and button)
- Colored LEDs with alternating blinking patterns.
Granted, this might not be an ideal choice if you’re looking for something powerful enough for a large home theater. If that isn’t of great concern for you, perhaps you’ll want to make the COWIN KY5000 part of your list of options.
As earlier mentioned, soundbars provide a way to enhance the sound output of your TV speakers, particularly in terms of bass and frequency response. Considering the fact that TVs are only growing thinner with each passing day, it’s safe to say that soundbars will become an absolute must-have in the near future. This means you’ll want to begin your shopping process sooner rather than later, of course taking into account the factors that form part of a satisfactory listening experience. These include the features and what your preferences are, just to mention but a couple of points you need to keep in mind when looking for the best soundbar for under 150.